Activities refer to the different tasks needed to execute social media marketing initiatives.
Since there is such a large amount of real time data constantly being created, there are three main activities that you need to be successful:
- Monitoring to track, synthesize and aggregate the online data streams into usable information. Effective Monitoring requires a strategy to determine what to monitor, a technology to capture mentions, and resources to evaluate which conversations are relevant.
- Contribution to the conversation so that your organization’s message is heard within the online community.
- Measurement to quantitatively gauge the results of your campaigns so that you can continuously iterate and improve.
- Track mentions of your company, products, industry or competitors
- Track your SEO / SEM keywords for mentions
- Follow lists of topics on Twitter that interest you and apply to your product / brand / industry
- Add comments to industry blogs
- Add your own blog entries
- Tweet or Retweet on Twitter
- Add videos to YouTube or Vimeo
- Run a series of “investigative” reports on CNN iReport
- Run contests on Facebook
- Kickoff a Foursquare promotion
- Set goals in your analytics package and track them
- Benchmark Google results for specific terms that are brand identifiable to you
- Measure brand sentiment in your monitoring tools